Photo

The Deathmobile Upgrade (dmu) - A Guide To Potential Buyers

DMU Deathmobile Upgrade Guide

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Black29

Black29
  • 82 posts

From the outset, this post isn't to entice a conversation about whether the DMU is OP or not, it is mearly to share my (your) experience with the DMU to help others who aren't sure whether it's worth it or not to decide if they want to purchase it. So please refrain from getting into rants about it.

For full disclosure, I purchased the DMU when it was a mear $15. Since then, the price has been doubled, the PvE return times have been cut to 5 min (manual) 15 min (automated) regardless of level, mission, success/failure.

Pros:

- Cuts return times of PvE to 5 minute for manual, 10 minutes for automated missions (five minutes less on each with free speedup)

- Means you can run more missions in less time! (~120/hr automated as a maximum, less if manual); I currently run about ~60/hr (2 survivor teams)

- Fill your resources more quickly

- Find a greater quantity of items in general

- Allows you to play more in a shorter period of time, which is useful if you've a limited window during your day

- Your survivors are almost always at home (or can be brought home quickly), so you are better able to fend of PvE and PvP attacks

- A one time purchase, that is retained to the account.

Cons:

- You find a greater quantity of items just by virtue of an increased number of missions (which means you have more junk to deal with). This makes your inventory management more tedious, the recycler alone cannot keep up with what you bring in. I have subsequently purchased the permanent inventory upgrade (1500 fuel) to double it to 1,000. I seem to be able to keep it between 550 - 800 without too much effort (keeping all my collectables)

- The cost ($30) can be steep for some - it is roughly the equivalent of purchasing 3,000 fuel. However, keep in mind it is a one time purchase, for something you'll get to use until you tire of the game, or if you come back it will still be there! (See thoughts below)

- Non-transferable (to the best of my knowledge) it can only ever be associated with the account that purchased it, so if you opt to start over, have an alt, or anything else for whatever reason, you'll lose your purchase (unless you could convince the Devs to transfer it?)

Neutral Points:

- You'll probably end up running more automated missions and not as many manual missions. For many months I just ran automateds on the highest 5 levels I could. Only now that I've maxed everyone of my survivors am I getting back into playing the PvE missions and enjoying the art and design of the game.

- You can slow your levelling up. Because you can run just automated missions you can slow down the rate at which you level up. This can have pros and cons (building up your defenses before opening yourself up to higher level players, but also limits the level of loot you can find, and other +/- points)

- If you're on Kongregate, that's tough luck, but no one else has it either. You have to sign up to one of the first hosts (AG / Fb)

- You can run out of ammo more readily. If you're not balancing the mission types you go on and your loadouts you can easily run out of ammo faster than the drop-offs will replenish it.

Other Thoughts

So all in all there are a lot of pros and they largely outweigh the cons in my opinion. But it is only my opinion and the $30 expense can still be steep to some. If you've ever bought fuel to speed up returns, think of it this way, which will last you longer ~3,000 fuel or the DMU? The purchase is the equivalent of a mid-grade title game and really has it not provided you hours of entertainment, and will it not provide you hours of entertainment to come? It seems a fair exchange when you compare it to other sources of entertainment (movies, cable/satellite, the pub, etc.) that provide you a much narrower timeframe of enjoyment.

You'll often hear that the DMU gives you a lot more higher quality loot (uniques / rares etc.). This is not entirely true. The odds of finding high quality loot are fixed, and independent each and evey mission. Meaning your odds on each given mission of finding good loot is no better with or without the DMU (the difference between manual and automated is less clear). However, with that being said, because you can run more missions, you are (to the best of my understanding) more apt to find higher quality loot compared to a non-DMU user in a given time-frame. So over the course of a month, you might find more, BUT you might not too. It is really a roll of the dice, and you can have a really crummy streak of luck, or you could have a great streak of luck but the DMU doesn't change that. It just gives you more opportunities to try your luck. If you normalize it to the number of missions run (meaning comparing DMU and non-DMU users on the same number of missions, they'll come up with similar results).

Take it or leave it, now you've a more thorough understanding of what owning the DMU is like. Others who own it will hopefully share their experience as well. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a "DMU is the devil because I don't have one" kind of thread.

Edit 05102014: Formatting, minor details

Edited by Black29, 10 May 2014 - 04:23 PM.

Hyunwoo

Hyunwoo
  • 626 posts

Pros:

- Cuts return times of PvE to 5 minute for manual, 15 minutes for automated missions

Actually Autos are 10 minutes... and with the free 5 minutes speed up, Autos are essentially 5 minutes and manuals are instant. 

Black29

Black29
  • 82 posts

Actually Autos are 10 minutes... and with the free 5 minutes speed up, Autos are essentially 5 minutes and manuals are instant. 

I was hoping people would figure that one out, but it is true; edited.

Edited by Black29, 10 May 2014 - 04:09 PM.

Hyunwoo

Hyunwoo
  • 626 posts

I was hoping people would figure that one out, but it is true; edited.

What I meant is automated missions when they're started are 10 minutes... Not 15 minutes. Do you own the DMU?

Black29

Black29
  • 82 posts

What I meant is automated missions when they're started are 10 minutes... Not 15 minutes. Do you own the DMU?

I do, just not enough coffee yet.. thanks for the catch!

Edited by Black29, 10 May 2014 - 04:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DMU, Deathmobile, Upgrade, Guide