Photo

Upgrading Uniques Possibly For Free

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

JamesNg2

JamesNg2
  • 82 posts

You heard right folks.  This is a great opportunity to get your beloved uniques upgraded possibly for free.  Read on if you're interested.

I offer you one level of unique upgrade (possibly more if under level 25) for one ToT box + one 2013 scary skeleton key.  If I use only a proportion of the boxes to get the 20% crafting booster, then I will also return you a proportion of the boxes that are remaining along with your upgraded unique.  If I open all ToT boxes and don't get the crafting booster then I will return you your original unupgraded unique.

So, lets say I am able to pool together 50 boxes before I start crafting and you've contributed 5 of those boxes + 5 keys.  It takes me 20 attempts to get the 20% booster - leaving 30 boxes left.  I will upgrade your unique 5 levels and return you that upgraded unique + 3 boxes + 3 keys.  Sounds like a very good deal if you ask me - 2 boxes + 2 keys for 5 levels of unique upgrade...  Consider what that would cost you if you used only CoC 50% + the alliance booster.

If it takes me 40 attempts to get the 20% booster (leaving 10 left), I will upgrade your unique 5 levels and return you that upgraded unique + 1 box + 1 key.  Still looks like a very good deal.

If I go through 50 boxes and don't get the 20% booster, then I will return you your original unupgraded unique.  You lose your 5 boxes sure, but you'd have to take a risk at some stage with your 5 boxes for crafting anyway - much better it be pooled with me I think.

If there is rounding required then the people who have the highest fraction after the whole number get priority for the remaining boxes.

Of course this whole thing relies on trust.  Both that I'll return you your stuff and that I'll accurately report the results of unboxing to you.  So why should u trust me?  First, I've upgraded and borrowed stuff from people before.  They can give me good references.  Second, I got tons of nice uniques in my inventory and I'm not into PvP.  Most people know me as a veteran player of 1.5 years who's really rich.  This is all the more reason I'm not going to keep your stuff - I'd probably never use it and my reputation is much more important.  Third, this is a win-win deal.  I got a lot of fuel and I need insurance to get the 20% buff for a ton of uniques I want upgraded myself.  I'm willing to spend a bit of fuel to get that insurance.  And I'm sure most people will think the person wanting their uniques upgraded is getting a good deal.

I'm looking to craft at the end of this war round.  Find me in game if you want to trade.

Con

Con
  • 4,275 posts

Trading items to other players for upgrades is not recommended. 

We've had some messy situations where people trade things under the pretence of having them upgraded by another player. I'm not suggesting that James here isn't trustworthy, but consider this a warning.

JamesNg2

JamesNg2
  • 82 posts

I'll be open about this.  It is your risk to take and I wouldn't hold it against anyone for not trusting me.  But the rewards are worth it, I'm sure you'll agree.  For those who I've borrowed and returned stuff to before, the risk is very minimal.

Would you be open to enforcing such a contract Con?  I mean if I don't keep my word, you can simply take things from my inventory which would give players a lot more peace of mind.  Too much admin work for you I think, plus if you did this for me you'd have to do it for everyone.

Calultra

Calultra
  • 82 posts

Of course this whole thing relies on trust.  Both that I'll return you your stuff and that I'll accurately report the results of unboxing to you.  So why should u trust me?  First, I've upgraded and borrowed stuff from people before.  They can give me good references.  Second, I got tons of nice uniques in my inventory and I'm not into PvP.  Most people know me as a veteran player of 1.5 years who's really rich.  This is all the more reason I'm not going to keep your stuff - I'd probably never use it and my reputation is much more important.  Third, this is a win-win deal.  I got a lot of fuel and I need insurance to get the 20% buff for a ton of uniques I want upgraded myself.  I'm willing to spend a bit of fuel to get that insurance.  And I'm sure most people will think the person wanting their uniques upgraded is getting a good deal.

I'm looking to craft at the end of this war round.  Find me in game if you want to trade.

dammit, this could have been useful on AG :/ 

Edited by Calultra, 20 May 2014 - 04:00 PM.

JamesNg2

JamesNg2
  • 82 posts

no reason why it couldn't be replicated on AG...  But same political issues will be faced - namely that of trust.

vyking

vyking
  • 216 posts

i have done this several times on AG, and am curently doing this again in the current round, as long as its a reputable person, and the knowledge of it(the upgrade) is made public before hand, the risks are minimized, if you have any doubt, open a trade window showing the guns, and discuss the full deal in the chat, and screenshot it for proof. personally if a person doesnt trust me i usually give them a gun of same rought stats/value to hold onto until i return theres

JamesNg2

JamesNg2
  • 82 posts

The problem is that I can't give a gun of similar stats/value coz I'm wanting to upgrade mine.  I could offer multiple lesser guns as collateral though.  Plus, there'd also be the problem that whoever has the fuel to upgrade uniques usually blows all their fuel on a crafting run with the 90% booster, so its hard to establish any kind of reputation.  And I'm sure not too many people would be willing to spend $100 or so too often.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

Time and time again i've seen people ripped off in trade because someone offered to upgrade uniques and just kept it. People come out with daft remarks like they've got no fuel and can't give it back whilst simultaneously spending all day in trade (?)

The bottom line is unless you are basically prepared to be ripped off, don't even think about giving your hard earned uniques to someone else unless you know they have been around for a long time, established and active, and you've got to know them enough to trust them. This will take longer than two weeks to figure out. To be honest to figure out people in a game such as this I would give it at least two months, and even then have a good think about who it is you are dealing with. And even then, don't think shouting and making a big deal about being ripped off will help. It won't. Con can't and won't do anything, it's your word against someone else's. Also, everyone else will quickly forget so and so ripped you off, except you. People forget things quickly in games like this.

I used to upgrade for other people all the time when the game was younger but it's become to expensive to upgrade the high level uniques these days for other people with your own money even with the crafting on the cheap book and the alliance boost, when you've got your own high level uniques to upgrade as well. 

Just a warning, I have no idea who the original OP is, so good luck to them, but as an old hat who has seen lots of people being screwed in arrangements such as this, just felt I just had to say.

JamesNg2

JamesNg2
  • 82 posts

I acknowledge receipt of a unique from riotnow, plus 4 boxes and 4 keys.  I offered him a unique faithful armageddon as collateral.

Edited by JamesNg2, 27 May 2014 - 02:51 PM.

riotnow

riotnow
  • 24 posts

I acknowledge receipt of a unique from riotnow, plus 4 boxes and 4 keys.  I offered him a unique faithful armageddon as collateral.

faithful armageddon received as collateral, good luck and thanks!

JamesNg2

JamesNg2
  • 82 posts

There are basically 3 ways to upgrade uniques in this game.  1)  You pay ConArtist for fuel to upgrade the uniques yourself  2)  You trade for as many keys as you can and hope you get fuel from the HERC boxes.  The boxes are rigged and I know there's a "tax" built into fuel transfer.  Basically you'd work your ass off to get fuel for the premium players of this game.  3)  You trust someone who has fuel to upgrade your uniques for you.

It boils down to one of three things.  Money, time or risk.  No one wants to pay either 3 of them, but if you want nice things in life, you have to sacrifice.  Nothing comes for free.  If you don't want to pay either one of the 3 then you won't have upgraded uniques - and you'll have to live with that.

I agree with Con and Harpage, you must be wary of who you trust.  But you have to trust someone, otherwise only the other two options remain open to you.

This is not to say I'll break my word to anyone.  I keep my word and I won't betray someone else over a virtual item.  I'm just pointing out a simple and stark reality.

kelvinjames

kelvinjames
  • 54 posts

Well if only con could make a sort of some kind of trade window that can make upgrades and make payments too in just one deal then it could be awesome.