Photo

Possible New Search Mechanic

Suggestion Resources

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Sgt_Avitus

Sgt_Avitus
  • 2 posts

As I was playing today, a thought came to me that I figured I may as well suggest.

Basically, the idea is that, on the world map (but before actually launching a mission), there could be a bar/dropdown where you could "prioritize" a resource when you start your next mission. The default setting (and the one it would return to after each mission) would be "none," however, you would be able to then select food, water, metal, wood, cloth or ammo from the dropdown, making that resource prioritized for the next mission.

Prioritization would increase the likelihood of you finding the chosen resource by between 15-20%, but the drawback of this would be that it would decrease the likelyhood of finding anything else (including weapons, clothing, fuel, etc.) by a much greater degree, around 40-50%. This would help players who, in an emergency, are in need of a specific resource while also making it harder to find anything else, so a player won't be tempted to abuse the prioritization mechanic to stockpile all resources.

Any book effects would, for balancing purposes, be calculated in BEFORE calculating the increase/decrease in likelihood.

It is meant to be something of an emergency measure. Think of it like this: your survivors are starving and desperately need food, so when they go out on a mission and look through a pile of rubble or a cabinet, they're more likely to ignore the piece of steel rebar in favor of a can of soup. If they know that their walls are in severe disrepair, they may toss aside a box of ammo so they can carry more lumber. That's what the prioritization mechanic would represent: your leader saying, "take as much (insert resource here) as you can find, Nothing else matters right now."

Hyunwoo

Hyunwoo
  • 626 posts

As I was playing today, a thought came to me that I figured I may as well suggest.

Basically, the idea is that, on the world map (but before actually launching a mission), there could be a bar/dropdown where you could "prioritize" a resource when you start your next mission. The default setting (and the one it would return to after each mission) would be "none," however, you would be able to then select food, water, metal, wood, cloth or ammo from the dropdown, making that resource prioritized for the next mission.

Prioritization would increase the likelihood of you finding the chosen resource by between 15-20%, but the drawback of this would be that it would decrease the likelyhood of finding anything else (including weapons, clothing, fuel, etc.) by a much greater degree, around 40-50%. This would help players who, in an emergency, are in need of a specific resource while also making it harder to find anything else, so a player won't be tempted to abuse the prioritization mechanic to stockpile all resources.

Any book effects would, for balancing purposes, be calculated in BEFORE calculating the increase/decrease in likelihood.

It is meant to be something of an emergency measure. Think of it like this: your survivors are starving and desperately need food, so when they go out on a mission and look through a pile of rubble or a cabinet, they're more likely to ignore the piece of steel rebar in favor of a can of soup. If they know that their walls are in severe disrepair, they may toss aside a box of ammo so they can carry more lumber. That's what the prioritization mechanic would represent: your leader saying, "take as much (insert resource here) as you can find, Nothing else matters right now."

Or you could go down to the lower left corner, with all the little icons that shows you what's there. 

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

Sorry to intrude, and no offense intended, but I think he wants a setting that will increase the CHANCE of finding one type of thing in exchange for having a harder time of finding other things.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

Sorry to intrude, and no offense intended, but I think he wants a setting that will increase the CHANCE of finding one type of thing in exchange for having a harder time of finding other things.

But there are already books for that. I would name them but they end up being junked whenever I find one

Hyunwoo

Hyunwoo
  • 626 posts

Still exactly the same thing. If you want food go to a supermarket. Want resources? Go to a hardware stores. I shouldn't be allowed to go to a gun store to get my grocery.

Sgt_Avitus

Sgt_Avitus
  • 2 posts

You're exactly right. I'm not talking about finding locations, but increasing the chance of finding something at the expense of everything else. An emergency measure to get a specific resource.

Still exactly the same thing. If you want food go to a supermarket. Want resources? Go to a hardware stores. I shouldn't be allowed to go to a gun store to get my grocery.

You don't seem to understand what I'm suggesting, which is alright. It only increases the chance that you'd find a specific resource. It wouldn't change anything about where you'd find it (i.e. you wouldn't start finding bullets in a fridge or wood in an ammo locker), just how much you'd find, and at the expense of all else. I thought I'd suggest it because for a long time, no matter how many grocery stores or houses I searched, I'd rarely find much water. Tons of food, but little water. What I'm suggesting would let me find more water, but substantially less of everything else (for balancing purposes, of course).

BrianBore

BrianBore
  • 565 posts

because for a long time, no matter how many grocery stores or houses I searched, I'd rarely find much water. Tons of food, but little water.

It's interesting you should mention that, I remember back in the day when my accounts were much lower level than they are now, I also went through a phase were finding certain specific resources seemed extremely difficult; and later on after leveling enough this scarcity / imbalance disappeared.

Seeing as I have seen the same phases through each of the accounts I have leveled, I can only conclude that the dev team has purposefully programmed an artificial shortage of certain resources for specific levels of players, perhaps to encourage newer players (who don't know any better, or who have lots of $$$ to waste) that buying or trading for those resources is a good idea.

As players level and become more experienced in this game, they realize that trading for or buying a refill for simple resources such a water, food, wood, etc. is a waste of fuel/money; perhaps that's why these artificial shortages only seem to appear at the lower levels in specific phases.

Dj_777

Dj_777
  • 111 posts

I support the basic idea, and it would be useful for repairing after raids or a period of inactivity.  Also, BrianBore, some of those resource shortages happen even up to level 50, with cloth being the issue for me.  Everything else with the potential exception of water (Which I can still scavenge in sufficient quantities, just not enough to fill my storages as fast as food...) I can refill my storages within 2 days, fuel gen and all.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Dj_777, 25 May 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suggestion, Resources