A Scavenger's Guide To The Dead Zone

missions resources where to find locations

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

POPULAR

Well, welcome to the Scavenger's Guide, home of all your information on locations. The saying goes "Location, location, location!", and the Dead Zone is no different. Yes, the game offers filters, but some places give more of specific items than others. This guide is to help you find what you need to survive in the Dead Zone.

Please reply with any new information or corrections!

Residences - Most layouts are rather small, meaning rushes can quickly surround you. The living room is normally much more spacious, so its a good place to take a stand in a rush. Large Residences have many chokepoints with the many doors. Residence's give smaller amounts of most things than more specialized places, but through junks, they offer more cloth than a warehouse, as well as being more common than the other great cloth giver, hospitals. They also offer some medical items.

Warehouses - Warehouses layouts differ from uniform to almost maze-like, but they are all rather spacious. Try to stand between the aisles during a rush since your survivors can shoot between them. Warehouses are good for metal and wood, as well as offering some cloth and components.

Supermarkets - Supermarkets layout are smaller and less spacious than warehouses. It's a good idea to bring a melee with for cramped spaces. Supermarkets, as can be expected, offer good amounts of food and water.

Streets - These areas are long and spacious, so more guns than melee are recommended. There are many zombie spawn points, and being in the center is a Bad Idea in a rush. They seem to offer a balance between ammo and guns.

Gun Stores - Like most other store type buildings, these are cramped, but normally have rooms, so chokepoints are a plus. Try to get inside a room without a spawn point to hold off a rush. If the room has a cage, even better, since your survivors can shoot through. Gun stores give more ammo than guns, so they are best if you want to stock up.

Hardware Stores - Again, cramped spaces,so melee is a must. Use the same strategy as supermarkets, but remember that the area is smaller. They offer some wood and metal and components, as well as a small amount of cloth.

Offices - Again closed, but some have spacious rooms with some spawn points visible. In a rush, use the fact of multiple rooms to your advantage and make your stand preferably in one without a spawn point, using the door as a chokepoint. Guns are recommended, but as with all closed spaces, bring one melee. Try not to get caught in the large, somewhat spacious room, as you will soon be surrounded. As the game says, this place is best for junk, with the majority of resource providing junks giving metal, followed by wood junks.

Securities - A sort of mix between a office and a gun store. They have desks and such in some rooms, and gun cages and other gun store like features in other rooms. In a rush, try to get into the caged areas, preferably with only one entrance and no spawn points. At least one melee is recommended, as well as a gun to take advantage of the cages. They offer more guns than a gun store, at the cost of giving less ammo. It is also a decent place to find gear.

Police Stations - A rather large-ish building with cramped office rooms and slightly more open rooms otherwise. Try to find a cell with no spawn point to take a stand in a rush. Some doors may be blocked off with sandbags, so use this to your advantage with guns to shoot through. There may also be a sandbag wall in one of the open rooms, so if a rush takes you by surprise and you can't get to the other defence points, it will have to do as a barrier. Police Stations offer a lot of ammo, with a few guns.They also offer useless junks, followed  by metal and wood junks, in that order of rarity.

Hospitals - Another area with many rooms. Some layouts are open, and some are very cramped. In the cramped ones, try to get behind the barricades or the counter wall off one side of attack. The open layout is much more dangerous, with zeds coming from all around if you are in the middle, so try to avoid going there. Again, use the doorways as chokepoints, preferably in a room with no spawn points. Hospitals give medical items, cloth junks, a decent amount of water, and a small amount of food.

Department Stores - These are much more open than other store types, but still no place for a Long Rifle. Zeds will be coming from every side, so try to take cover in between some aisles, or even an uncramped corner. They are a bit like residences, offering a bit of everything, with a focus on food, water and junks.

Stores- Another small area, but not as cramped as other store-types like Supermarkets, thanks to the lack of aisles. They seem to offer a bit of everything. MORE INFO COMING SOON

Edited by Rising Phoenix, 12 July 2014 - 10:09 AM.

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

Changelog.

5 July- Corrected gun store information. Give more ammo than guns. Changed street information. Corrected information on shooting between aisles, courtesy of Recon_Guy's correction.

6 July- Added Police Stations. Added more info to residences courtesy of Clocktower_Echo

8 July- Added Hospitals and Department Stores. Opened the Scavenger's Arsenal!

12 July- Added Stores.

16 July- Discovered and added the wood version of Call of the Clother/ Modern Metal Finder, courtesy of Ben_the_hunter and Liara_Tsoni

Remember, don't worry and 42!

Edited by Rising Phoenix, 16 July 2014 - 09:39 PM.

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

Welcome to the Scavenger's Arsenal, for all information about the tools at a Scavenger's disposal!

Armory.jpg

The Scavenger's reading material:

Ooooh Shiny!: One of the most useful books that a Scavenger can have. Having this will help increase your chances of getting quality items, meaning it takes less time to get better things. A 3-4% perm is sufficient if you don't have a DMU, or as a replacement if you run out of temporary ones. The max temporary shiny is 10% and the max permanent is 4%. Don't be scared of the penalty, it's nothing worth worrying about.

Looter- A temp only with a max of 15%, which are very valuable. MORE INFO COMING ASAP

Furious Search- COMING ASAP

Call of the Clothier/Modern Metal Finder/Finding Reclaimed Timber- These books can be useful to complete war tasks or survivor requests. The max is 9% and they are temporary only.

Union City Shortcuts - These will reduce the return time from missions, letting you run more missions in less time. If you are lucky, you could buy a permanent 50% UCS, but if not, you are going to have to make do with a 1-15% perm. The temporary can be anywhere from 16-50%, but I could use some verification.

Tools of the Trade-

Scavenging Gloves- These will increase the scavenge speed of your scavengers, so they are vulnerable for a shorter amount of time.

Bandoliers/Ammo Pouches - Equip these on the designated shooters to shorten reload times. Do not, however, put it on the tank.

Armored Vests- Put these on the tank to help them soak up damage. If it offers melee resistance, even better.

First Aid Kit/ Medical Kit- Put these on the medic to help them heal injured survivors faster. Having more survivors alive will help during rushes.

Shooting Vests- Put these on your designated shooters, as it functions as a bandolier and a ranged combat booster. So you reload slightly faster and are more accurate.

Tactical Vests- A combination of shooting vests and armored vests, increasing reload speed and health. If you absolutely must take a ranged tank with, this should be the gear.

Scavenger Vests- A combination of gloves and armored vests, improving scavenge speed and health. These generally don't have as much search speed, but they do allow your scavenger's to take a few more hits. The choice is yours.

Shooting Gloves - Not to be confused with the scavenger gloves of the same name. These are solely ranged combat boosters, forgoing the reload speed of shooting vests. Again, the choice is yours.

The Gun Runners Arsenal- COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU

Edited by Rising Phoenix, 16 July 2014 - 09:38 PM.

Scrub McLordington LXIX

Scrub McLordington LXIX
  • 1,366 posts

This is a nice guide, for my manual missions i usually run a fighter with the 2nd amendment, and a melee scavenger.

I have the 50% ammo conservation equipped though, so i never have ammo trouble, and when the need for ammo arises, one automated mission to a military base is sufficient.

Shawn Steel

Shawn Steel
  • 12 posts

Nice guide. :D

Looking forward for more additions.

Quadro40k

Quadro40k
  • 288 posts

Few quick things to add:

If you have DMU (and really - if you can afford it, you should have it. Makes the game so much better to play) and you do like to run manual missions, there are few advices:

- Take 4-5 folks on a mission. Even if you can do it with 2, it doesn't really make sense as you'll want your xp gain to be as even as possible. If you can - don't take your leader though. He'll get xp anyway but he'll get even more if you take him/her with (thus increasing lvl gap between leader and the rest of the crew). With DMU your first looting team will be back anyway before you finish your second run or shortly after.

- Simplest 5-men layout is 2 melee, 3 guns. You want on of your fighters to have melee to be a meatshield while others kill zeds, and you want your scavenger (or whoever plays that role) with melee as he'll be busy searching containers anyway. Your medic needs a gun though - you really don't want him to rush into zeds crowd with melee. With guns - one shotgun and 2 AR/SMG work best. LMGs are too much of ammo hog and LRs are largely useless against zeds due to low APS/long reload.

- When doing auto-missions, contrary take as few people as it gets to have Very High (anything less than Very High reduces your chances for good loot). For auto-missions it's advisable to run with melee as there's no real point to waste ammo.

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

The Scavenger's Arsenal is now open!

Hat_Enthusiast

Hat_Enthusiast
  • 5 posts

Great guide :D

this helps me..... a bit :/

but is usefull anyway :D

Hat_Enthusiast

Hat_Enthusiast
  • 5 posts

Great guide :D

this helps me..... a bit :/

but is usefull anyway :D

Reverend

Reverend
  • 301 posts

Can I just add the department store is an excellent place to find cloth, probably one of the best places for it I've found so if you ever get a survivor request or need it for a war task I'd hit a department store first. Most of it seems to drop on the shelves next to your deployment zone (on the side just north of the corner with all the beds)

HERC Commando

HERC Commando
  • 221 posts

It's pretty cool to see this pop up (+1). By the way, how do you get colored text?

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,179 posts

By the way, how do you get colored text?

The answer is here

HERC Commando

HERC Commando
  • 221 posts

The answer is here

Thank you! :D

ky4e

ky4e
  • 137 posts

Howdy... my english is not so good, i understand 99% of the stuff but a thing is unclear for me and i guess the question fits good in here for others too.

From wiki: Luck is available exclusively to the scavenger. It currently gives a small bonus per level to the number of item drops on missions, up to a maximum of 2%

The question:

does this mean that a scavenger give, don´t matter which level he is always 2% e.g. when i got on a mission 100 items it´ll give me 102 items?

OR

does this mean when i have e.g. a level 10 scavenger and i get on a mission 100 items then it´ll give me 120 items due to the scavenger-level? (100items+2%*lvl10)?

Thanks for an answer.

Btw that´s also from wiki: 

• Large Hardware Stores are the best for construction resources, generally giving several hundred to more than a thousand each of WoodMetal and Cloth. They first become available inTrenton proper when the player reaches level 14.

So i don´t know now if your´s is right or wiki is right...

Fully wiki says:

Nice thread btw!

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

Btw that´s also from wiki: 

• Large Hardware Stores are the best for construction resources, generally giving several hundred to more than a thousand each of WoodMetal and Cloth. They first become available in Trenton proper when the player reaches level 14.

Yes, warehouses and Hardware Stores do give cloth, but I have noticed that they tend to give more wood and metal than cloth, while residences and hospitals give more cloth in the form of junk items. I scavenge each place several times in order to take note of any particular items that are found in large amounts, so I cannot add places I have not searched, for the sake of accuracy in my pursuit of knowledge.

Frozenstorm

Frozenstorm
  • 187 posts

Yes, warehouses and Hardware Stores do give cloth, but I have noticed that they tend to give more wood and metal than cloth, while residences and hospitals give more cloth in the form of junk items. I scavenge each place several times in order to take note of any particular items that are found in large amounts, so I cannot add places I have not searched, for the sake of accuracy in my pursuit of knowledge.

Well, based on my experience, when it comes to warehouses and Hardware Stores, it depends on three things. Location type, map variation with warehouses and simply luck, when searching.

Hardware Stores, no matter if it's normal or large, have a lot of containers that have chance to give you wood, metal and cloth. However, how much you get each of these, is really dependent on luck at the time of search. I have done a lot of especially Large Hardware Store missions (both manual and auto), where I have got more cloth than either wood or metal, while some had had opposite results. General rule however, is that Large Hardware Stores give you all three resources and Hardware stores does the same, but in lesser numbers.

Warehouses, however, are more interesting in my experience.

Small warehouses

What you get from these locations is highly dependable of which map variation you happen to get. If you get the original map, then you won't get a lot of resources as there simply isn't a lot of containers than normally give you wood/metal/cloth. However, these "old map variant" small warehouses give more of junk (especially wood junk in my experience), that can be then recycled.

New map variation however is an excellent for resources, especially for wood. Close to every container in this new location gives you either wood or metal. Because of this, you can get a huge amount of wood and metal from these new map variants. But this also makes small warehouses a certain gamble. Based on which map you get, you have a either great chance to get a lot of resources or then you get next to nothing and pretty much waste you time.

Warehouses

When it comes to warehouses and wood/metal/cloth, it's again dependable of map variation as other warehouse map have more "cloth containers" than the other. Map variation A http://tlaststand.wi...Warehouse_A.png has three cloth containers (those cloth stacks), while Map variation B http://tlaststand.wi...ig_Layout_A.jpg only has a one.

This means, that based on map variation, you can get a lot more cloth from one of them. It's also dependent on luck as you can get either a lot of cloth from those stacks, or not much at all.

In general, I would have to say that what really affects to your scavenging, is the map variation you happen to get, when ever starting a mission on any location. This was even more greatly emphasized by these new map variations that Con added couple months ago. And it all comes to this: Simply said, with some locations, some map variations are better than others and could greatly affect to what you find and how much. This is especially with resources.

Let's take Military Bases as an example. They used to give no wood/metal at all. But with this new variant, Military bases can actually give you wood/metal too. Another example of this is Suburban Streets. This new variant actually gives you (potentially) decent amount of wood/metal, while old map doesn't give you any at all. Some other locations, where new map variants could make a clear difference, are Depots and Construction sites.

With Depots, new map variation had a lot more wood/metal lootable containers and that way can and will give you a lot more of those. Based on you luck, you can get between 500-800 wood from new depots quite easily.

With Construction sites, this difference between new and old map is even greater. This is because with these new maps, I have got as much as 1600 wood from one construction site mission. Yes, that's just highest, but I have also done a lot of other +1000 wood missions on Construction sites. And what makes me think that map variant affects to this? When I have done Construction sites with old variants, about 500 wood is max that I have ever got. But that just max, on average, old variants gives you about 200-300 wood, while this new variant has average closer to 1000 wood per mission.

Lastly with some locations, this question of which map variant you get, will have even greater meaning. It really depends on, if you have a good mission or if doing this mission will be total waste of your time and effort. And these locations are small warehouses and hospitals.

I already mentioned small warehouses and the fact that based on map variation, you either get resources or waste your time. But it similar with hospitals, especially when it comes to food/water, which is important in war rounds like this, when we have both water/food tasks. When you go at Hospitals and you have two variants A http://tlaststand.wi...l_Alternate.png and B http://tlaststand.wi...e=Hospital.png. From those two, A is by far a superior, when it comes to looting. And it really comes down to a simple fact, location A has a 28 lootable containers, while B only has 19 containers (and that's after Con added at least 2-3 more containers to B location in this new map variant update). This is actually a huge difference and greatly affects to total amount of items you can find from your hospital run. And when you take into account a return times, it could really make a difference between useful and waste of time.

Anyway, I see that Depots and Construction sites in general are missing on your list, so if you have time, you could do mission on those. I would like to see some else either confirming or deny of what I have noticed myself.

Edited by Frozenstorm, 18 July 2014 - 02:32 PM.

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

(ignore)

Edited by Rising Phoenix, 18 July 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

Well, based on my experience, when it comes to warehouses and Hardware Stores, it depends on three things. Location type, map variation with warehouses and simply luck, when searching.

Hardware Stores, no matter if it's normal or large, have a lot of containers that have chance to give you wood, metal and cloth. However, how much you get each of these, is really dependent on luck at the time of search. I have done a lot of especially Large Hardware Store missions (both manual and auto), where I have got more cloth than either wood or metal, while some had had opposite results. General rule however, is that Large Hardware Stores give you all three resources and Hardware stores does the same, but in lesser numbers.

Warehouses, however, are more interesting in my experience.

Small warehouses

What you get from these locations is highly dependable of which map variation you happen to get. If you get the original map, then you won't get a lot of resources as there simply isn't a lot of containers than normally give you wood/metal/cloth. However, these "old map variant" small warehouses give more of junk (especially wood junk in my experience), that can be then recycled.

New map variation however is an excellent for resources, especially for wood. Close to every container in this new location gives you either wood or metal. Because of this, you can get a huge amount of wood and metal from these new map variants. But this also makes small warehouses a certain gamble. Based on which map you get, you have a either great chance to get a lot of resources or then you get next to nothing and pretty much waste you time.

Warehouses

When it comes to warehouses and wood/metal/cloth, it's again dependable of map variation as other warehouse map have more "cloth containers" than the other. Map variation A http://tlaststand.wi...Warehouse_A.png has three cloth containers (those cloth stacks), while Map variation B http://tlaststand.wi...ig_Layout_A.jpg only has a one.

This means, that based on map variation, you can get a lot more cloth from one of them. It's also dependent on luck as you can get either a lot of cloth from those stacks, or not much at all.

In general, I would have to say that what really affects to your scavenging, is the map variation you happen to get, when ever starting a mission on any location. This was even more greatly emphasized by these new map variations that Con added couple months ago. And it all comes to this: Simply said, with some locations, some map variations are better than others and could greatly affect to what you find and how much. This is especially with resources.

You are correct on the map variation affecting the amount of items. I've noticed that some layouts are just better than others, and a quick look is normally enough to suffice in a warehouse. After several runs, I've known when its going to be a good warehouse or not. Will be sure to find a place in the guide for that, added after I finish other locations.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: missions, resources, where to find, locations