animation character characters movement idle animation

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Gwairen

Gwairen
  • 27 posts

POPULAR

Hello there!

First of all, I'd like to apologize if this thread or similar was already brought up earlier. I searched through the forums and didn't find anything that looked like it, so decided that it was safe to post it. Hopefully it is.

Secondly, I'd like to extend my thanks to ConArtists for a great post-apocalyptic zombie survival horror. A great game where you can feel the soul and effort put into it. This leads me to my main proposal.

I noticed that the only animations our characters have are seldom ones when they are trying to meddle with something (usually junk in the compound while clearing it), plus missions where they just stand/fight/loot. That is good and all, but seems to lack something.

I'd really like (and I dare say, I am probably not the only one who thought about it) to see my survivors act more... human. What I have in mind is a set of idle/battle animations that will make them more alive, so to speak.

Let’s have some examples. While they are in a compound, especially when all junk piles are cleared, they just walk around aimlessly. That seems to be a little bit strange. I'd love to see them, for instance, sit/lie on beds or even sleep in them during night time if they are not raiding and then jump from beds, run to defenses if they are under attack. Anyway, to make this easier and avoid much text, let’s put in in bullet points.

Idle/compound animations suggestions:

• Sitting/lying/sleeping in beds;
  • Making/tidying beds;
  • Cooking in the kitchen and cleaning it afterwards;
  • Tending to the garden(s)/water collector(s);
  • Tinkering with the workbench and engineering/gear/weapon benches;
  • Speaking/checking/maintaining radios/tower;
  • Tinkering/washing/maintaining the car;
  • Checking or inspecting ammo/wood/metal/cloth storages;
  • Taking showers & actually using the outhouses;
  • Operating F.U.E.L generator & tinkering with the regular generator;
  • Checking food/water reserves;
  • Inspecting defenses;
  • Patrolling perimeter (MokeleMbembe also suggested to allow survivors to carry their defensive loadout in idel state, i.e. with a rifle slung over their shoulder or a pistol in the holster, etc.);
  • Tinkering with traps (hopefully mechanic reserved, we don’t want to have our survivors blown up due to carelessness);
  • Working with construction yard (could be done to make it possible for two/three survivors to use it simultaneously, helping one another, building is a big task after all);
  • Playing cards/other games in spare time;
  • Talking to each other (possibly with chat bubbles if it isn't too much trouble - suggested by The_Dcube);
  • Training in the training center animations: training with a punching bag, or doing pushups, or situps, or sitting with a drink, or sun baking (suggested by LindenBrah);
  • Medics treating the Injured (suggested by Cytroghost);
  • Recons reconning some areas (with binoculars) (suggested by Cytroghost);
  • Leader ordering the others to do something (suggested by Cytroghost);
  • Survivors leaning on walls, or sneakily drinking some water when the others aren't looking (suggested by The_DcubeХ);
  • Cleaning around the base and, just if theres ever a way to have a few zombie corpses on the ground after a raid, burning the coprses (suggested by Liberator[);
  • Washing their clothes at the wash station (suggsted by Liberator);
  • Cleaning/maintaining weapons (suggested by Liberator);
  • Climbing over barricades/slipping through the gate without fully opening it (suggested by PeterTehDumb).

With battle animations, it’s a little tougher due to less variety. But I’d like to see survivors actually using some kind of cover during manual missions, perhaps setting ambushes for zombies (but that’s already going more into mechanic than animation), checking their weapons, when not shooting, taking more relaxed stance when infected are not around, etc.

This all, of course, is just a suggestion, that I hope may reach the developers and, perhaps, be implemented in some way.

Thank you for your attention and patience to read all this.

Edited by Gwairen, 30 May 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Dead Generations

Dead Generations
  • 1,076 posts

I love this idea although some of them wouldn't probably be added if Con decides to add this to the game.

The Architect

The Architect
  • 2,995 posts

Lol, i remember Sims...

Good idea as it seems, but it would be hard on the PC so, probably in the farther future.

MokeleMbembe

MokeleMbembe
  • 29 posts

I think the suggestion about patrolling the perimeter actually brings up another interesting point. Any time the survivors are at the compound, they're kind of implicitly on the defensive and keeping a lookout for any incoming raids and infected attacks, so it'd be a nice touch if they always carried their defense loadout while in the compound.

As far as I know, there's also only models/animations for survivors in "armed and ready" mode, with nothing for carrying weapons idly, i.e. with a rifle slung over their shoulder or a pistol in the holster. That's something that'd be pretty well suited for compound patrols.

Tander09

Tander09
  • 62 posts

I APPROVE!

Gwairen

Gwairen
  • 27 posts

I think the suggestion about patrolling the perimeter actually brings up another interesting point. Any time the survivors are at the compound, they're kind of implicitly on the defensive and keeping a lookout for any incoming raids and infected attacks, so it'd be a nice touch if they always carried their defense loadout while in the compound.

As far as I know, there's also only models/animations for survivors in "armed and ready" mode, with nothing for carrying weapons idly, i.e. with a rifle slung over their shoulder or a pistol in the holster. That's something that'd be pretty well suited for compound patrols.

I had this in mind as well. Thank you for bringing this up. Forgot to add it when I was writing. If you don't mind, I'll add this to the general post.

LindenBrah

LindenBrah
  • 241 posts

Also! Training themselves in the Retraining Center! They could be on a punching bag, or doing pushups, or situps, or sitting with a drink, or sun baking :DD

Gwairen

Gwairen
  • 27 posts

Also! Training themselves in the Retraining Center! They could be on a punching bag, or doing pushups, or situps, or sitting with a drink, or sun baking :DD

Good one. I'll add it to the list, if you don't mind. Completely forgot about the training center!

LindenBrah

LindenBrah
  • 241 posts

Good one. I'll add it to the list, if you don't mind. Completely forgot about the training center!

Yeah thats cool, hopefully this isnt too hard add into the game. I bet it will be sometime after the Injuries and Alliance updatesand its been suggested plenty of times Id liek to see Con's opinion on these

JoEll92

JoEll92
  • 3 posts

I really like these Idea's

Krysis

Krysis
  • 246 posts

Been suggested before, but yes I like this idea.

Sneaker1dude

Sneaker1dude
  • 11 posts

i like the idle animations in the compound. Be kinda silly and cool.

Gwairen

Gwairen
  • 27 posts

i like the idle animations in the compound. Be kinda silly and cool.

Why necessarily silly? It's better than just walking around doing nothing, right? =))

Cytroghost

Cytroghost
  • 144 posts

Medic's treating the Injured.

Recon's reconning some areas (with binoculars).

Leader's ordering the others to do something.

Engineer's & Fighter's acting is cited above.

Edited by Cytroghost, 07 May 2013 - 10:54 AM.

Gwairen

Gwairen
  • 27 posts

Medic's treating the Injured.

Recon's reconning some areas (with binoculars).

Leader's ordering the others to do something.

Engineer's & Fighter's acting is cited above.

Nice. I'll add it to the list, if you don't mind.

The_Dcube

The_Dcube
  • 18 posts

Survivors leaning on walls, or sneakily drinking some water when the others aren't looking. Would like it if once in a while the survivors would have speech bubbles over their heads.

Alex the killer

Alex the killer
  • 13 posts

man very nice idea wish it is in ....

Alex the killer

Alex the killer
  • 13 posts

man very nice idea i wish it is in ....

tangytoby

tangytoby
  • 668 posts

That might take too much time .Con already has to battle Australia's wild life everyday to get to work. That's why there is only 4 people,the rest were eaten by dingos and carnivorous kangaroos.

Gwairen

Gwairen
  • 27 posts

Survivors leaning on walls, or sneakily drinking some water when the others aren't looking. Would like it if once in a while the survivors would have speech bubbles over their heads.

Good idea! I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

That might take too much time .Con already has to battle Australia's wild life everyday to get to work. That's why there is only 4 people,the rest were eaten by dingos and carnivorous kangaroos.

Hmmm... Interesting idea for new types of infected!

Edited by Gwairen, 08 May 2013 - 10:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: animation, character, characters, movement, idle animation