Photo

How Uniques Are Made

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Con

Con
  • 4,248 posts

There's been a lot of talk about how our loot system works and some requests for insights into the process. So I made this handy infographic.

howuniquesaremade.jpg

Revenant

Revenant
  • 437 posts

POPULAR

Thanks for the infographic. very useful indeed.

i would upvote the post ... but it seems we can't upvote con ... lol.

Takata

Takata
  • 464 posts

Pretty and useful, thanks Con!

Zero Spiral

Zero Spiral
  • 81 posts

That's pretty interesting.

Beerblog

Beerblog
  • 60 posts

Are schematics factored into this? Like when I find a purple schematic of something I already unlocked, does it lower the rate of finding items?

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

Thanks for this Con, I could use this as an sample for my assignment. :o

DJfriede

DJfriede
  • 888 posts

Thanks for that infographic, it explains a lot.

Some things I want to ask/add:

1. Does the roll have to be less than the required number or does the equal number also grant you a "Win"? (E.g. 2 is the required number, so 1 AND 2 would qualify as a winning roll, or only if you roll 1?)

2. Does finding other "quality" stuff (like purple schematics, fuel, books) affect the chances of finding weapons or gear (of any quality)?

3. You might overestimate the value of rares. Most rares are even less useful than blue items. Often they only have one modifier (like the dreaded +26% hit chance). It's actually frustrating to get a rare these days, because it lowers your chance to get a unique and you end up with a subpar item. Also, the modifiers should be better than purple items. I've found a lot of rare guns with modifiers of 12.5% (max for purple is 15%).

Bella

Bella
  • 54 posts

Nice info Con! :)

Vking

Vking
  • 103 posts

Very nice guide, more FAQ announcements like these would be useful.

ky4e

ky4e
  • 137 posts

thumbs up for the info!

i know you canĀ“t tell us everything but like Vking said more FAQ announcements like these would be useful.

Edited by ky4e, 19 August 2014 - 10:27 AM.

Frozenstorm

Frozenstorm
  • 187 posts

That infographic is really useful, so thank for that, Con.

However, this made me wonder that how rare/unique gear system works?

After all, there is no mods/prefixes for gear as pretty much all gear items have exact same stats, except the the better quality ones are just higher.

Scrub McLordington LXIX

Scrub McLordington LXIX
  • 1,366 posts

POPULAR

the_more_you_know_banner.jpg

Nephy

Nephy
  • 302 posts

Interesting to see this straight from the horse's mouth. Question: given you are saying that the rolls are all using a 6-sided die, how does % quality chance modify that roll? Or was the 6-sided die just a simplification for the sake of the explanation? I can understand if the real roll is more like a 100-sided die so that with Ooh Shiny 4% you'd get 4 in 100 more chances to get quality, but 4% won't affect a 1-in-6 roll :)

Xengin

Xengin
  • 34 posts

allright, nice info but why you people keep saying "useful"? how on earth you plan to use this info?

dumbjock123

dumbjock123
  • 929 posts

POPULAR

My parents told me that when a blue and a purple love each other very much, they share a special embrace and soon after a uni comes out.  That's where unis come from. 

dumbjock123

dumbjock123
  • 929 posts

Ok, I learned something new but have a couple of questions that didn't get answered. 

In step 1, items are sorted by rarity.  This is indicates that guns have a rarity value which I didn't know.  I thought it truly was random, but it appears weighted.  I guess this would explain why uni smgs appear so much more frequently than uni lrs, but is this rarity value assigned to gun types or specific models(ie are smgs in general considered to be common or just mp7s are common while p90s might be more rare)?  And if it's the former can you share the rarity list?  I can probably guess, but it would nice to confirm.  And is this rarity value used in determining drop rates or just roll calculations?

The 2nd question is about the uni roll.  We've all seen some unis that barely qualify as uni with hit and reload only.  Then we've seen some unis loaded with close to max stats like 60%aps, 50% range, suppression, damage, all the good stuff.  But what separates a really good uni from component fodder isn't really explained here.  Are the extra stats just pulled out of thin air?  How do some unis get more than others?  What's the roll to determine % of each stat? 

P.S.  PLEASE! for the love of all the that is good, remove hit as one of stats you can roll on melee weapons....

Edited by dumbjock123, 19 August 2014 - 02:16 PM.

Charlie

Charlie
  • 207 posts

One question, anything was changed in calculations at all when you introduced 25% item boost? Because i personally feel this is exact moment after which drop rate plummented. I would discount my results as just my own change of luck, but some ppl with multiple accounts reported same. I kinda dont care anymore - play game for pvp, and dont expect anything good from loot now, but looting game that denies you loot must feel frustrating to ppl :)

PS. Also - maybe separate penalties for finding rare and unique? As is you got rare - you got penalised for nothing you done. Obviously there is almost 0 value in 95% of rares. Would be exact 0 if not for ability to process them to components.

Manstan

Manstan
  • 526 posts

What's a "unique"? Never seen one in my game.

dumbjock123

dumbjock123
  • 929 posts

PS. Also - maybe separate penalties for finding rare and unique? As is you got rare - you got penalised for nothing you done. Obviously there is almost 0 value in 95% of rares. Would be exact 0 if not for ability to process them to components.

This.  Hate that feeling when you put on a high % looter and see you found a crappy rare in the ticker only to know that means your chances of finding something good have just gone down.

ky4e

ky4e
  • 137 posts

A question what i would to know is: Does on automissions the status good or high or very high affect drops? e.g. in quality or amount? 

cause there are just speculations out there in forum