Photo

How Uniques Are Made

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

dumbjock123

dumbjock123
  • 929 posts

Well after finding out items have a rarity value from this thread.  LRs are good not just because they're needed in PVP but because they're actually rare.  Supply and demand.  With high rarity, the supply is low thus the price is high.  Couple that with high demand and the price is astronomical.  You can buy anything you want with a good LR.  So even if you don't PvP, if you have a choice and only get 1 uni, you should make it an LR.  You can turn it into other stuff quickly.

ky4e

ky4e
  • 137 posts

Sorry for my maybe stupid question now, but i am not native...

It´s not clear for me:

So when i find today a rare weapon, is my chance to find a unique on the same day reduced?

Thanks for an answer would help to save the one or other looter-book

buzzercoot

buzzercoot
  • 33 posts

I scored 2 rares yeasterday 19-8-14 in 4 or 5 missons i have DMU so was only like 20 min apart getting. Was doing bounty runs. I really got lucky i guess.I do have  increased chances right now as i actavated stuff from alliance bonus. Sadly my misson weapons are better so i use them for infected defence,but is always a joy to get a rare or unique.

Edited by buzzercoot, 20 August 2014 - 05:03 PM.

dumbjock123

dumbjock123
  • 929 posts

Sorry for my maybe stupid question now, but i am not native...

It´s not clear for me:

So when i find today a rare weapon, is my chance to find a unique on the same day reduced?

Thanks for an answer would help to save the one or other looter-book

Yes.  Finding a rare decreases your chances that the final roll that turns either a blue into a rare or a purple into a uni will succeed.  What % that final roll is decreased by we don't know. But it's never zero, so there's always a chance.  And looter books don't effect that final roll anyway, all they do is increase your chances of finding blues and purples. 

Naraxer

Naraxer
  • 30 posts

I heard that if you find N unis and/or rares then you will have X (which depends on N) lower chance of finding those for following N days and if you find any more unis/rares in those N days the day count will increase meaning that perhaps its better not to try to find any quality items or something. Is it true?

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,630 posts

I love that you guys think that I'm in love with rares. You're right though, Rares should probably either not affect the roll for Uniques, or they should have their own reduction.

PeK - yeah, the shotguns have been tricky, they don't have as many possible high end mods. Will have to look into it.

speaking of which, I am aware that many weapons do not have unique variants, I.E the chainsaw shotgun

Con

Con
  • 4,248 posts

speaking of which, I am aware that many weapons do not have unique variants, I.E the chainsaw shotgun

I am aware that you are aware that there are weapons that do not have unique variants. Is there a definitive list anywhere?

I made some adjustments to the auto-shotguns yesterday in our staging environment, will push the changes live soon.

Raon

Raon
  • 39 posts

I am aware that you are aware that there are weapons that do not have unique variants. Is there a definitive list anywhere?

I made some adjustments to the auto-shotguns yesterday in our staging environment, will push the changes live soon.

Unique KS-25... well that should be interesting :)

dumbjock123

dumbjock123
  • 929 posts

In terms of weapons without unis, I can think of guitars, lead pipes, cricket bats, chainsaw shotguns, and KS25 shotgun.  Lots of gear without unis, but most of it isn't gear I'd want unis of either..like cleaning/trap/first aid kits, etc.  Uni slugs and boots would probably be OP. 

Hey Con, Ky4e asked a question I was hoping you would answer.  There's been lots of speculation about an item boost cap.  That you shouldn't use high % looters with alliance boost and shiny.  Is there any truth to that or is just people talking?

Edit:  No uni kitchen/pocket knife either. I know there are no unis below lvl 4, but a uni pocketknife would be pretty sweet. 

Edited by dumbjock123, 20 August 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Takata

Takata
  • 464 posts

I heard that if you find N unis and/or rares then you will have X (which depends on N) lower chance of finding those for following N days and if you find any more unis/rares in those N days the day count will increase meaning that perhaps its better not to try to find any quality items or something. Is it true?

No.
Everyday at 00.00 UTC, the decreased chance to roll blue/purple into rare/unique is reseted --if you previously looted one of those, or more--, consequently, you've got again a full chance to roll a rare or unique after this point.

It's not a timer after each loot, it's a daily soft-cap limit, which is reseted when new fuel and boxes are dropping again.

Edited by Takata, 20 August 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Hatchford

Hatchford
  • 920 posts

actually, all that does raise the question... how long does the uni decrease last? is it as takata says  or is it more of a timer starting from when you get the uni. im not really asking for a whole lot of detail, just a general time frame so I can better adjust my looting times possibly.

Cyan

Cyan
  • 13 posts

So , when i get a uni for the next 24 hours the chancs that the roll turns into a violet , and then a unique are much smaller , but how much are we talking about ? . I did notice that , right after finding a uni the chances are extremelly low , but some hours later it increases . Could you tell us approximately  how much does the % gets reduced then ? . Also , i believe you should change the fact that finding rares changes the % of finding unis , why dont you just reduce the changes of finding rare ? . Because , the roll with violets and blue are two different things right ? . 

Takata

Takata
  • 464 posts

actually, all that does raise the question... how long does the uni decrease last? is it as takata says  or is it more of a timer starting from when you get the uni. im not really asking for a whole lot of detail, just a general time frame so I can better adjust my looting times possibly.

So I'm quoting Con about it, as I don't think it's a secret he doesn't want to be revealed:

Rares and Uniques "Cap" - it's not a cap, it's a chance reduction. Finding either a rare or unique triggers it and it resets on a 24 hour server cycle, approximate at 00:00 UTC.

Naraxer

Naraxer
  • 30 posts

No.
Everyday at 00.00 UTC, the decreased chance to roll blue/purple into rare/unique is reseted --if you previously looted one of those, or more--, consequently, you've got again a full chance to roll a rare or unique after this point.

It's not a timer after each loot, it's a daily soft-cap limit, which is reseted when new fuel and boxes are dropping again.

Why are you so confident? :D Did Con say that before?

Takata

Takata
  • 464 posts

Why are you so confident? :D Did Con say that before?

Look at my post just above ^^
I simply asked and he was kind enough to answer that.

Naraxer

Naraxer
  • 30 posts

Look at my post just above ^^
I simply asked and he was kind enough to answer that.

Oh sorry I didn't see that post when was asking for clarification.

Takata

Takata
  • 464 posts

So , when i get a uni for the next 24 hours the chancs that the roll turns into a violet , and then a unique are much smaller , but how much are we talking about ? . I did notice that , right after finding a uni the chances are extremelly low , but some hours later it increases . Could you tell us approximately  how much does the % gets reduced then ? . Also , i believe you should change the fact that finding rares changes the % of finding unis , why dont you just reduce the changes of finding rare ? . Because , the roll with violets and blue are two different things right ? . 

Well, actually, your chance to roll a purple (or a blue) are still the same after looting one or more rare/unique between two daily cap reset. This chance is linked to 'quality' roll which is modified by your current boost level (alliance, looter, shiny bonus). What is reduced, after looting a unique or rare, is the chance that the next purple will be rolled into unique, or your next blue will be rolled into rare.

Actually, the same varialbe is used for both.

Cyan

Cyan
  • 13 posts

Well, actually, your chance to roll a purple (or a blue) are still the same after looting one or more rare/unique between two daily cap reset. This chance is linked to 'quality' roll which is modified by your current boost level (alliance, looter, shiny bonus). What is reduced, after looting a unique or rare, is the chance that the next purple will be rolled into unique, or your next blue will be rolled into rare.

Actually, the same varialbe is used for both.

Yes that what i tried to say  ,  my english needs more work . The question remains : how much the chance of finding a purple that will be rolled into a unique is reduced ? . 

Takata

Takata
  • 464 posts

Yes that what i tried to say  ,  my english needs more work . The question remains : how much the chance of finding a purple that will be rolled into a unique is reduced ? . 

I don't know, and I didn't ask him!
(that part looks more sensitive as he might have to adjust those variables)

Nonetheless, we should be able to figure out roughly if it's worth trying again, or not, once we know exactly what to count. I would not be surprised if the chance to roll unique/rare would be halved each time a new rare/unique is dropping.

Starting chance to get the first purple turning into unique seems to be set high enough (close to 50%?). Nonetheless, the roll generating rares and uniques is cetainly not based on the same initial value, as it should take into account the drop ratio of blues and purples.

fazzaq

fazzaq
  • 30 posts

excellent information, im glad that we finally get a grasp on how rolls are made isntead of blind discussing it on game. thanks !

also, there is a reason for slugs, ammo drops to excist? they have 0 use in game (at any quality), AND they take a lot to recycle, is this planned on some way?