Photo

When Flash Crashes, Net Disconnects, Or Freeze Bugs Happen...

flash crash disconnect net freeze bug automate mission locked

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

...or any other situation that causes us to fail a mission, or locks us out of a mission with nothing to show for it until the Locked cooldown expires, could instead retain the experience and items earned until the disconnect, and automate the remainder of the mission, based on remaining survivors and containers. Even if the decreased rate of items for the regular automated missions applies, it would still be better than nothing.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,710 posts

...or any other situation that causes us to fail a mission, or locks us out of a mission with nothing to show for it until the Locked cooldown expires, could instead retain the experience and items earned until the disconnect, and automate the remainder of the mission, based on remaining survivors and containers. Even if the decreased rate of items for the regular automated missions applies, it would still be better than nothing.

But the game has crashed, so it would be tricky to expect it to automate the remainder of the mission wouldn't it? 

Also the problem with 'crashes' is a large portion of the player base were using 'crashes' as a means to cheat, by forcing the game to crash, for various reasons. 

Basically if the game crashes just shrug your shoulders and use fuel to get your guys back and if the problem persists get a better means to play the game. 

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

But the game has crashed, so it would be tricky to expect it to automate the remainder of the mission wouldn't it? 

Also the problem with 'crashes' is a large portion of the player base were using 'crashes' as a means to cheat, by forcing the game to crash, for various reasons. 

Basically if the game crashes just shrug your shoulders and use fuel to get your guys back and if the problem persists get a better means to play the game. 

Client crash, yes. But if the server doesn't crash, I don't see why it couldn't work.

I'm not sure how crashes were being used to cheat?

I don't spend fuel for returns, but even so, you can't spend fuel to, say, unlock a police station for a task that requires that specific station in a specific part of town. It's still down for a day, which can be very frustrating, especially if you're on a deadline.

I'm not sure what you mean by "get a better means to play the game".

Edited by LevN, 01 November 2014 - 08:55 AM.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

Players were deliberately refreshing the game if a raid/mission didn't give the results they wanted (either getting a rare/unique item or winning a raid).

It used to be that this would mean a players survivors were all back at their compound with no ammo used and the only downside was the area being locked.

The developers changed this so that there was an actual penalty for players using the exploit/cheat.

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

Players were deliberately refreshing the game if a raid/mission didn't give the results they wanted (either getting a rare/unique item or winning a raid).

It used to be that this would mean a players survivors were all back at their compound with no ammo used and the only downside was the area being locked.

The developers changed this so that there was an actual penalty for players using the exploit/cheat.

Ah, good to know. I'm glad they fixed it. I don't think this idea should be a problem for that reason then.

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

I think where this will not be able to work is connection between your client and the server has failed. the mission data up to the point of completion or a crash is more than likely stored in the cache' of your browser and not on the server side. once a mission completes by you clicking to go home with at least one upright survivor you are then sending that data to the server to add it to your inventory.

the way you suggest for it to auto complete the mission upon disconnect could be exploited in that I can play the mission and rather than click the go home function i just pull the plug, force the disconnect and find my survivors all sitting back at the compound with the loot.

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

I think where this will not be able to work is connection between your client and the server has failed. the mission data up to the point of completion or a crash is more than likely stored in the cache' of your browser and not on the server side. once a mission completes by you clicking to go home with at least one upright survivor you are then sending that data to the server to add it to your inventory.

the way you suggest for it to auto complete the mission upon disconnect could be exploited in that I can play the mission and rather than click the go home function i just pull the plug, force the disconnect and find my survivors all sitting back at the compound with the loot.

I'm not sure how that would be an exploit any more than just automating the mission outright. I think it's better than having nothing to show for the outing and being locked out from the location for a day. I do think that the loot chance/quality could be decreased to that of automated missions, but in the event of such a disconnect, should the return time for the survivors be increased like an automated mission? Would that be a suitable deterrent for exploitation?

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

I'm not sure how that would be an exploit any more than just automating the mission outright. I think it's better than having nothing to show for the outing and being locked out from the location for a day. I do think that the loot chance/quality could be decreased to that of automated missions, but in the event of such a disconnect, should the return time for the survivors be increased like an automated mission? Would that be a suitable deterrent for exploitation?

a disconnect places your survivors instantly back in your compound rather than them having the travel time to get home is the exploit. now you can run missions all day long with instant return times and no need for the DMU. to carry it one step further you can clear the whole map in probably 30 minutes. build your team, load in on manual then pull the net cable. mission completes on auto and your team plus loot is sitting back in the compound by the time you plug the cable back in and log back into the game.

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

a disconnect places your survivors instantly back in your compound rather than them having the travel time to get home is the exploit. now you can run missions all day long with instant return times and no need for the DMU. to carry it one step further you can clear the whole map in probably 30 minutes. build your team, load in on manual then pull the net cable. mission completes on auto and your team plus loot is sitting back in the compound by the time you plug the cable back in and log back into the game.

What? There would still be return times, including with the DMU. Soloing the entire map would still take all of those return times, plus the disconnect/reconnect times, which are almost as long. And there would still be decreased chance/quality. And there's an inventory limit that would be quickly reached. And why would I want to clear the map? I'm lvl 50, all my survivors are lvl 50, the vast majority of the city is useless for me to scavenge. The lvl 50 locations are impossible to clear by taking in a team of 1 or 2 people. The PROBLEM is when a location is LOCKED due to a disconnect, but ALL of the effort of fighting and scavenging is lost.

Edited by LevN, 04 November 2014 - 08:52 PM.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,168 posts

To do what you want the game would need a 100% real-time connection.   While Con won't go into the exact details of how it works (for obvious reasons), he has stated that the game doesn't work like that.   If the game had a 100% real-time connection the lag would make it unplayable for just about everyone.

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

To do what you want the game would need a 100% real-time connection.   While Con won't go into the exact details of how it works (for obvious reasons), he has stated that the game doesn't work like that.   If the game had a 100% real-time connection the lag would make it unplayable for just about everyone.

There's enough connection to lock a mission for a day, even if your survivors end up back the the compound as if they never left.

Edited by LevN, 05 November 2014 - 01:07 AM.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,168 posts

There's enough connection to lock a mission for a day, even if your survivors end up back the the compound as if they never left.

Locking an area out for a day, and saving every item looted to the point where you crashed are two entirely different things.

For a lockout all it needs to do is register that you attempted to go to the area (one server check -- at the start of the mission).

For items it needs to check near constantly -- and its not doing that.

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

Locking an area out for a day, and saving every item looted to the point where you crashed are two entirely different things.

For a lockout all it needs to do is register that you attempted to go to the area (one server check -- at the start of the mission).

For items it needs to check near constantly -- and its not doing that.

Fair enough. Surely there's some way to indicate that there has been a problem and cause it to be automated though, even if that means losing your progress and settling for whatever you get from it. It'd be better than nothing at least.

Edited by LevN, 05 November 2014 - 04:53 AM.

LevN

LevN
  • 15 posts

I was thinking more on this. Perhaps along with the simple check that determines that you attempted to enter a mission, there can be a check if the mission terminated with at least one survivor still alive, before the timer expired. If these parameters are met, make it an automated mission.

MrSentinel

MrSentinel
  • 22 posts

I play four different FB games and this is the only one that has more crashes than an Indy 500 race.  I don't get the whole concept of the game intentionally crashing someone because they're cheating or exploiting something.  I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to this kind of thing and I play the game the way it was meant to be played.  So, from what I gather on this thread, I'm being punished just for playing the game the right way.  See, I'm about ready to give up on this game because it's always at a critical moment or just when I'm about to exit a raid that I get "you've been disconnected from the server."  I use Chrome, have the latest versions of Flash and Chrome, a steady internet connection and still I get tossed out at least 8-10 times during a session.  It's taking me three days to complete very simple tasks, due to this, not to mention the Infected Bounty rewards that I'm also losing as well.  I don't know what else to do, but at some point I'm just gonna walk away from this because I just don't have time to sit here and yield zero results for my efforts.  If I'm doing something wrong, or there is some kind of way to avoid the constant disconnects, please, someone educate me.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,710 posts

I play four different FB games and this is the only one that has more crashes than an Indy 500 race.  I don't get the whole concept of the game intentionally crashing someone because they're cheating or exploiting something.  I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to this kind of thing and I play the game the way it was meant to be played.  So, from what I gather on this thread, I'm being punished just for playing the game the right way.  See, I'm about ready to give up on this game because it's always at a critical moment or just when I'm about to exit a raid that I get "you've been disconnected from the server."  I use Chrome, have the latest versions of Flash and Chrome, a steady internet connection and still I get tossed out at least 8-10 times during a session.  It's taking me three days to complete very simple tasks, due to this, not to mention the Infected Bounty rewards that I'm also losing as well.  I don't know what else to do, but at some point I'm just gonna walk away from this because I just don't have time to sit here and yield zero results for my efforts.  If I'm doing something wrong, or there is some kind of way to avoid the constant disconnects, please, someone educate me.

The thing is.. and please don't take this the wrong way, i'm saying this genuinely with good will, but i've been playing this game for well over two years now, am not on some magical internet connection -it's pretty standard British broadband- and can only claim to have a very good Mac; I spend a lot of my time requiring a very stable platform for photography with H U G E raw files in Photoshop; but I simply don't get crashes other than once in a blue moon, at a rate that would be perfectly forgivable for a browser based flash game. So in other words practically never. And I seem to have been playing this game a heck of a lot in the last nine months.

So it really must be your own rig and/or software. My post can probably only confirm that, though I do sympathise with your predicament; it sucks when you can't see where something is not working. Hope you get it sorted though. I got so fed up with PCs I ditched them mid way through the last decade for exactly this type of reason; things randomly not working inexplicably. I do not work for Apple :)

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

-snip-

Chrome has been repeatedly reported by player/developers as being one of/the worst browser to use. This is primarily because they use their own version of Flash which is less stable than others. Both Firefox and (can't believe I am saying this) Internet Explorer seem to run the game better

MrSentinel

MrSentinel
  • 22 posts

Chrome has been repeatedly reported by player/developers as being one of/the worst browser to use. This is primarily because they use their own version of Flash which is less stable than others. Both Firefox and (can't believe I am saying this) Internet Explorer seem to run the game better

I'll give Firefox a try for THIS game, but like I said, all of my other FB games don't crash unless there's new content being patched.  Can't do it today, but I'll try to figure it out over the weekend.

@ Harpago - True, it could very well BE my connection, but if it is, does that mean THIS game is just really sensitive as far as a connection drop?  Like I said, DZ is the only game I play that has this kind of problem.  And don't worry, your response was a good one.  No worries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flash, crash, disconnect, net, freeze, bug, automate, mission, locked