Photo

Need Better Survivor Combat Behavior Controls

tactics stances combat behavior HUD FLASH defensive aggressive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

KeJorn

KeJorn
  • 12 posts

This game really needs better ways to control your survivors, esp during missions, etc.

Whenever you have an AI that dictates how your toons will behave when attacked etc, there should be some basic controls given to us to help manage this more effectively. Nothing irritates me more, than having to click each individual survivor in real time and try to get them to move where I need them to when they are being attacked. Often as a result, there is a delay before they do what you told them to, sometimes resulting in injuries or death. The delay may be a result of the crappy Flash interface / HUD and the way the system seems to get taxed when too many moving 'sprites' are on the screen (due to a zombie rush, etc). 

You allow us to decide what role each survivor will play, yet do not allow us to set up how they should respond individually when a zombie is nearby. For example, my wimpy scavengers should not be engaging the enemy unless I WANT them to. Too many times, I set my scavenger off to search an item, while I move other toons around on the screen to create a defensive perimeter, etc... only to find out my scavenger finished searching and decided to run ALL THE WAY AROUND a barrier (where he was safe) into the mass of zombies who have now shredded him to bits. It doesn't seem to matter that I clicked for him to get out of the mass of zombies, because he pauses too long before responding or the system hangs... and he dies. I DO NOT WANT MY SCAVENGERS ENGAGING THE ENEMY UNLESS I TELL THEM TO. PERIOD. If a zombie appears near them, they should finish searching the item (if they are mostly done) and return back to the group for backup. 

Most games that allow you to control 5 man teams like this, give you individual functions (stances/tactics) for each toon (such as defensive, aggressive, or passive stances, etc). Why doesn't this game do that? It is badly needed.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,177 posts

Just to be sure...

You are aware that number keys can be used to select survivors.

I never click on the screen to select survivors myself cause, as you said, it's pretty unreliable.

KeJorn

KeJorn
  • 12 posts

Even with the number keys, there still may be delay before they respond. Esp since you still have to click on the screen where you want them to go (which brings up another issue if one of the other survivors happens to run across as you click the screen, thereby selecting them and deselecting the one you wanted to move ASAP.) The controls overall feel sluggish and inaccurate. Like trying to move them through Jello, into crowded areas, while wearing thick gloves that are too fat for the objects and space you are working with.

It would help a lot if he doesn't run out into the mob in the first place, that gives me some time to decide where he should go.

Therefore battle stance/tactics would be rather useful.

Even better if they let you map out more than one action, kind of like how with Starcraft, you can set your builders to do several tasks, one after another... instead of holding their hand each step of the way.  

Anyways.. just some ideas. Just think it would improve game play controls a bit.

Edited by KeJorn, 19 November 2014 - 01:15 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tactics, stances, combat behavior, HUD, FLASH, defensive, aggressive