I can understand why you blocked that chat thread from replies, but, in any case...
Con, I can appreciate that you have concerns other than my own, and I can also appreciate that you're making positive efforts to 'clean up' chat in your various arenas, but I have the following criticisms and advice to share:
1. I see no reason for a simple three-tier system. This reminds me of 'mandatory sentencing' in the US - or the 'three strikes' rule of law in Texas.
I was once called to serve on a jury that was considering a life sentence for a man who'd stolen a lawn mower.
See my point?
2. Three strikes over the life of a player is precious few. People we like and respect have bad days; we forgive them and move on. They add much more over history than they detract on a single misguided rant, or a poorly chosen post.
I would suggest, at a minimum, that 'strikes' have a shelf life of thirty, or sixty, or ninety days. A batter only gets three strikes, but they only take 90 seconds and he gets another 'at-bat.' You have people who've played for years, and sometimes they get cranky.
3. Your advancement from 24 hours to four weeks seems ludicrous to me.
4. If you're actually concerned about who is offending players - how about factoring in how many of us mute or block a player? Is there any actual interest here in serving the community? Or is it only in creating a draconian 'rule of law' that gags everyone?
5. I can't speak for all of the servers, but Yahoo has a much better than average atmosphere/ethos for a war game. (Yes, I've played a few.) We have hotheads whom we actually love, and we love them being hotheads. There needs to be a review procedure to check this system. It's a war game. It's fueled by Cheetoes, Red Bull, Jack Daniels and testosterone. (Not guilty on all counts, by the way.) Most of US are pretty tolerant, and we'd like to think that what we think about our companions has weight. I would hope that my voice would have a little more significance than that of a grandmother who wandered in looking for Farmville too, by the way. I'm here every day, and I've never forwarded a single complaint to you about anyone - though I've blocked a few that might interest you, if your goal is to improve the quality of life on your game.
Those are my thoughts at first blush...