Decoy Demo Derby

defence trap decoy barricades traps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Midimiaow

Midimiaow
  • 329 posts

~Ideas for Decoys~

Right now, decoys aren't very effective as recons (i.e, the main force in PVP) can tell if they're DECOYs. It's very unlikely that you'll use anything OTHER than a recon for spotting traps, so letting recons spot the "odd ones out" is a bit redundant. 

1. Recons should NOT be able to tell the difference between a fake and a real trap (at least, not immediately). They already have ridiculous trapvision as it is; it's only fair that they don't have detection to go with it. Besides, decoys aren't much good if you know they're decoys! They're meant to be there so people can spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to disarm them or carefully going around them instead of wrecking your base!

Alternatively, their "truesight" radius should be substantially reduced so they can detect traps from a long range but actually have to close in if they want to check if it's a decoy or not.

2. Decoy traps should at the very least make a loud noise and stagger people if they go off, as if they were shot. I've been told that they "contain humiliation" and decrease morale, but that's not all that helpful for actually defending a base. I mean, come on. We only get one decoy of each type anyway and they don't really do anything as it is.

23/05: Changed "decoys suppress" to "make people around them stagger as if shot" - not very big, but just enough to stop them in place for a moment. Could just stop a melee rush under suppressing fire by staggering a survivor. People have also suggested that decoys trigger off nearby traps when set off or disarming fails.

3. Decoy Barricades! These are basically the same as regular small barricades, just with LIVE GRENADES inside. Basically, these explode when an enemy survivor tries to use them as cover, dealing damage and leaving the enemy conspicuously out of cover. 

With any hope, decoys can be just as important as regular traps in defending your base! (or at least of some use).

Edit 23/05: Other very important improvements to trap use would be display trap blast radius during placement. This is particularly important with scatterbombs, which lots of newbies have trouble placing properly because the firing end isn't abundantly clear.

Binned suggestions:

Other suggestions.

1. Decoy wire traps would be nice, although I'm not sure if it would be OP because they can deny such a large area. Honestly speaking though, how hard is it? All you'd need is what, string painted to look like wire?

This idea... was not very good. I guess attackers need a break too.

2. A decoy survivor that doesn't do anything would be nice too (especially for compounds where the survivors are almost never at home). The only problems I can see with it are that it'd draw fire away from actual survivors, although leaving "scarecrows" around your resources might be a good way to stop raiders from coming in.

In retrospect, this wasn't a good idea but would still make an excellent piece of decoration. Non-functional, of course; it adds to the atmosphere.

Edited by Midimiaow, 23 May 2013 - 01:45 PM.

JHPinto

JHPinto
  • 619 posts

#1: Totally agree. It makes no sense at all that recons are able to tell the difference form a distance and it makes decoys useless.

#2,3,5: Interesting ideas, but it's already hard to have a full victory (100% kills and 100% loot) during most raids without that (not considering lousy defense setups here), so I hope that nothing like that is implemented.

#4: Absolutely not. I can't stress this enough: it absolutely goes against the game concept to leave a compound totally undefended! Come on, this is a zombie apocalypse we are talking about! So what should be added to the game are ways to make such a lousy strategic option more costly, like having a probability of having all barricades destroyed (by zombies) each time the compound is left undefended or something.

Freedom Fighter

Freedom Fighter
  • 168 posts

YES WE NEED THIS!!! wtf is the point of decoy traps if they just go off when they spotted (or at least thats what happens to me on raids) I think decoys would be better if they were identical to real things(- the BOOM of course) 

heres an exanmple:

Freedom Fighter

Freedom Fighter
  • 168 posts

YES WE NEED THIS!!! wtf is the point of decoy traps if they just go off when they spotted (or at least thats what happens to me on raids) I think decoys would be better if they were identical to real things(- the BOOM of course) also they should have the abiltity to set off nearby real traps.

heres an exanmple:

your base is getting raids and they have taken out ur survivors, they move in and spot 2 traps, one is real and one is decoy, side by side. They dont know which is which . They try and disarm the decoy trap but fail, the faliure sets off the real trap and BOOM at least 200 dmg depending on the trap. It would make the decoys more useful

FlyingNinjaBoar

FlyingNinjaBoar
  • 395 posts

#1 is an awsome idea, i totally like it

# 2,3,5 are good to but OP

# 4 is a crap idea

but it still gets my +1

Edited by FlyingNinjaBoar, 17 May 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Dead Generations

Dead Generations
  • 1,076 posts

#1. Has been suggested before: http://forum.conarti...rayola#entry588

#2. I just put decoys where they will just go off, I like to decrease my enemy's morale before I raid them back.

#3. No comment on this idea.

#4. Creepy.

#5. I like it, you'd have to know how to not make it stand out thought if it was added.

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,224 posts

#1 Definitely. I approve. 

#2 No. The raiders are on a time limit as it is, and it could make the defenders way OP at higher levels.

#3 No. The area of denial is too great. 

#4 No. We can't see survivors when we view other compounds without attacking, so scarecrows would be a bit too obvious. Also, it's not hard to tell a scarecrow and a real person apart.

#5 I suggested something similar awhile ago. A knee high wall of debris soaked in cooking oil and has a fuse. Causes burn damage if you walk through it. Sure, this one could work.

Midimiaow

Midimiaow
  • 329 posts

With the substantial decrease in survivor health following the injuries update conventional traps may be powerful enough that new explosive defences aren't necessary. However, the "decoy" function should be implemented.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: defence, trap, decoy, barricades, traps